Skip to main content

RV Frequently Asked Questions

If I drive to your dealership to look at a certain camper shown in your inventory, can I be sure you will really have it in stock?

We show only RVs that we have in stock. Our entire inventory is at a single location, so we never picture a camper on our website that is located at some far-away place. There is usually a lag of a week or so in removing RVs from the website when we sell one of the in-stock campers. Used RVs are one-of-a-kind. If you want to make sure that a certain used unit is still here, it is a good idea to call and talk to one of our sales consultants. We can also tell you if there are other similar campers that have just arrived and haven't been posted yet.

Can Camp-Land order a new RV that I want, which you do not have in stock?

We can order any RV for you that we are the authorized dealer for. However, it is best to buy from our stock, for a couple of reasons: (1) Different interior colors often give an entirely different look to the living area. You want to be sure you really like the interior you will be living with for the next 5 years. You should see it. (2) There is an unpredictable waiting time for an ordered unit. This is especially true in the Spring and Summer when factories are straining to produce enough campers.

I am new to camping. How do I find places to camp?

An internet search will quickly turn up many websites that have information on thousands of National Park, State Park and privately operated campgrounds throughout the country. Also, if you go to our "Helpful Links" section you will find some websites that will be helpful. There are also printed Campground Guides that you can take on the road for use where there is no internet access. We sell them as do most bookstores.

What facilities can I expect at a campground?

It varies from very primitive to luxury resort. Private campgrounds vary greatly and include some of the most luxurious and also some of the higher nightly fees. State Park campgrounds usually have some sites with full hookups; sewer, electric and water. They usually also have sites with no hookups or electric only. National Parks usually provide a little less in the way of RV hookups. National Forests, Army Corps of Engineers Sites, National Wildlife Reserves and Bureau of Land Management campgrounds generally have toilets and water, but no hookups at the campsite. Guide books or websites will tell you exactly what to expect at each specific campground.

What do the different names for types or classes of RV mean?

For a discussion of RV types, click on Help me Decide

Trailer weights are confusing. Can you help me make sense of GVWR, UVW, GVW and CCC?

Every new trailer must have a weight sticker (usually located inside a cabinet door, somewhere in the trailer before 2009). Current new models have a simplified yellow sticker inside the entry door or on the exterior left corner of the trailer. That is where you will find the true facts regarding weight. Weight stickers on trailers have changed over time and are not yet standardized. So, you have to read them carefully.

UVW (unloaded vehicle weight) is the weight of the trailer, without LP, water or cargo. Sometimes called dry weight, empty weight, etc. In the case of current Jayco and Dutchmen models (and maybe others), the sticker gives a unloaded vehicle weight that includes full LP tanks. Used to be called GVW (gross vehicle weight). Should not be confused with GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating), which is the total amount of weight the trailer undercarriage can safely carry; the total of the trailer, water, LP and maximum cargo.

UVW is the important number in determining whether your tow vehicle can tow a given trailer. Your tow vehicle owner's manual will tell you how much you can tow. Keep in mind that you will be towing the trailer (UVW), plus water if you fill the tank at home, plus whatever personal items you put in the trailer.

GVWR & CCC are of importance only to make sure you don't overload the springs and tires of your trailer. If you subtract the weight of a tank of water and your LP from the GVWR, you have the CCC (cargo carrying capacity), which is the weight of personal items you can haul without overloading.